Internships at UNSCEAR
Eligibility and conditions:
The UNSCEAR secretariat in Vienna is accepting unpaid interns on an ad-hoc basis (duration 2-6 months).
To be considered for internship at the UNSCEAR secretariat, interested candidates must be listed in the UNOV/UNODC Interns Roster. Candidates shall apply to the Roster in accordance with the Guidelines covering the internship programme of the United Nations Office at Vienna and the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, by filling in the Internship application form, indicating up to three preferred areas of work: Radiation science, biology, physics, chemistry, information technology, library science.
The United Nations cannot provide any financial assistance or remuneration to interns. Service as an intern must not entail any financial implications for the United Nations.
In determining the area and substance of the intern's work, the secretariat will take into account ongoing projects, the qualifications of the intern and the goals as expressed by the sponsoring institution or the intern. Interns will normally be requested to undertake tasks under the supervision of the Secretary of the Committee or the Scientific Officer.
Intern assignments may include:
- Assisting in the preparation of scientific documents for the annual UNSCEAR session
- Developing bibliographic systems for the preparation of future UNSCEAR assessments
- Assisting with the research and compilation of statistical data
- Assisting with the preparation of scientific presentation material
- Providing administrative and technical support to meetings of experts
- Assisting with the maintenance of the UNSCEAR website and other online tools
- First level university degree and enrolment in a degree programme at a graduate school (working towards a second university degree or higher) at the time of application and during the internship in biology, medicine, natural science, chemistry, nuclear engineering, physics, or similar
- Fluency (spoken and written) in English
- Proficient computer skills (MS Office) including familiarity with Internet research
- Good analytical and numeric skills