Areas of Work
Current Programme of work
The Committee's programme of work is endorsed by the General Assembly, and extends typically over a 4-5 year period. The secretariat collates relevant data submitted by UN Member States, international organizations and non-governmental organizations, and engages specialists to analyse those data, to study relevant scientific literature and produce scientific evaluations.
The Committee is carrying out the following evaluations:
- Second primary cancer after radiotherapy (initiated in 2019 with planned completion in 2024);
- Public exposure to ionizing radiation from natural and other sources (initiated in 2020 with planned completion in 2024);
- Epidemiological studies of radiation and cancer (initiated in 2019 with planned completion in 2025);
- Diseases of the circulatory system from radiation exposure (initiated in 2021 with planned completion in 2025).
According to the programme of work for 2020-2024, the following evaluations are planned:
- Diseases of the nervous system (to be launched in 2022);
- Eye lens opacities (to be launched in 2023);
- Radiation effects on the immune system (to be launched in 2024);
- Non-cancer effects from ionizing radiation (to be launched in 2024).